We’ve all seen how the government has taken a tough stance as part of its internet cleanup (Qinglang campaign) against an increasingly out of control fandom culture. And with all the explosive controversies involving high profile celebrities one on top the other in recent months – Zheng Shuang’s surrogacy and abandonment scandal, Kris Wu’s rape case, Huo Zun’s cheating, Qian Feng’s drug-related sexual assault, you can’t really say that new guidelines targeting celebrity behaviour is something unexpected.
Echoing the rules already laid out by the Cyberspace Administration, China’s National Radio and Television Administration (NRTA) unveiled a series of guidelines to better manage artistes acting “unethically” on September 2. Additionally, the new guidelines also touched on themes and formats programs will now have to follow.
(1) Strictly boycott unethical personnel who do not follow the law
(2) Resolutely oppose the concept of “liu liang” 流量 by prohibiting the broadcast of idol survival shows. Meanwhile, talent shows should strictly regulate the voting system with off-site voting, ranking and requiring fans to spend any sort money for a vote now prohibited. Likewise, variety shows featuring the children of celebs will now also need to be nixed.
(3) No to “frivolous” and pointless shows. Programs are also “encouraged” to move away from “abnormal” aesthetics.
(4) Resolutely opposed to paying exorbitant salaries for artists and punish those engaging in “yin yang contracts” and tax evasion.
(5) Talent agencies and management have the increased responsibility to oversee training and education of their artistes particularly when it comes to social responsibility and ethics.
(6) Carry out objective and professional reviews when commenting on artists’ work and projects.
(7) Greater responsibility for TV/Radio/Music industry organisations to regulate and improve industry norms, strengthen education and training on ideology, politics and professional ethics.
(8) Task organisations and agencies to perform management responsibilities effectively.