New Talent Program for Kids ‘Under 15’ Enrages Kpop Fans

New Talent Program for Kids ‘Under 15’ Enrages Kpop Fans
Screencap from Under 15’s now-removd teaser / Youtube

New South Korean talent competition Under 15, expected to premiere on March 31, 2025, has come under fire from some Kpop fans who’ve said enough is enough. The first of its kind, the survival show says it intends to discover child prodigies for its inaugural group of trainees – hence the title, with the goal of forming an idol group with an average debut age aged 15 and below. The show however, has drawn a lot of criticism from Netizens and kpop fans who questioned the appropriateness of having such young kids performing like they were already adults and in heavy makeup and mature outfits too.

Under 15 Teaser Goes Private

 “Seriously, stop it” was the general sentiment expressed online. Indeed, many find the show to be very concerning, saying putting impressionable underage children in front of the cameras, and in some cases performing sexy dance moves, is exploitative and harmful.  Equally disturbing is how the move would leave young kids as easy targets for predators and pedophiles on the prowl. Under 15 dropped a recent teaser featuring some of its contestants showing off their dancing skills; and the youngest at just 9 years old. The teaser, which was on MBN’s Youtube Channel has now been set to private.

Poor Timing

Likewise, the timing of the show has also proven problematic, coming at the heels of the growing controversy following allegations that the Queen of Tears actor Kim Soo-hyun was in a relationship with the late actress Kim Sae-ron when she was still underage.

Following the actress’ death, allegations surfaced earlier this week when a YouTube channel claimed the two were romantically involved for 6 years from 2015 to 2021 which began when she was 15.

2 Comments

  1. avarachika

    March 13, 2025 7:52 PM
  2. Kai

    March 13, 2025 9:30 PM
error: Content is protected !!