Zhang Zhehan Breaks Silence on Yasukuni Shrine Controversy at Seoul Concert: ‘I Deeply Love My Country’

Zhang Zhehan Breaks Silence on Yasukuni Shrine Controversy at Seoul Concert: ‘I Deeply Love My Country'

Zhang Zhehan, once a sought after star in Chinese entertainment, gained popularity through the hit drama Word of Honor. However, Zhang’s career took a dramatic turn in 2021 over accusations that he visited the Yasukuni Shrine. The shrine, associated with Japan’s wartime history, is a source of deep resentment and criticism in China. The actor was labeled as unpatriotic and was effectively blacklisted overnight.

“I have never or will never visit… Yasukuni Shrine.”

Nevertheless, the 33-year-old’s star has managed to shine outside of Mainland China. During his Zhang Zhehan 2024 Concert in Seoul, the singer-actor spoke candidly about the events that derailed his career. He said “(It’s been) three years, I haven’t had the chance to explain to everyone the truth from that year, but now I want to tell everyone. In 2018, during cherry blossom season, I was walking along the Chidorigafuchi path of cherry blossoms and passed by a garden. At that time, I didn’t know what this place behind me was.”

In 2021, Zhang Zhehan’s photos drew criticism and also saw the actor banned from Chinese social media. He went on to address what happened, “Three years later, when I saw the news, I wanted to explain, but I had already lost all platforms to clarify. I am a Chinese citizen, born and raised. I have never, and will never, visit or pay respects at the Yasukuni Shrine. I deeply love my ancestral country.” Finally addressing his fans, he said, “It is your trust and support that have brought me here today. Thank you.” Zhang Zhehan gave a deep bow as his fans cheered in support.

Photo: zhangzhehan_super3 / Instagram

One Response

  1. Katrine-pearls

    December 21, 2024 2:48 PM
error: Content is protected !!