
South Korean actor Jo Jin-woong, known for playing a righteous detective in the acclaimed drama Signal, has become the center of controversy after a Dispatch report today claimed he had a criminal past as a juvenile offender. The actor who’s now 49 years old was allegedly involved in theft and a sexual-violence–related cases during his teenage years. It alleges that the actor’s birth name was Jo Won-jun, which he later changed to Jo Jin-woong, adopting his father’s name.
The revelation comes at a sensitive time for fans of the Signal franchise. The first season, released in 2016, became one of Korea’s most celebrated crime-thrillers, and viewers have waited nine years for the sequel. Filming for Signal 2 was finally completed in August of this year, with an expected broadcast date in early 2026. However, the newly surfaced allegations regarding Jo Jin-woong have sparked concern that the long-awaited show could face further delays or be shelved entirely.
Jo Jin-woong’s agency, Saram Entertainment, released a brief statement in response. The company said, “Regarding the content that has been reported, we are currently verifying its authenticity. Once the facts are clarified, we will announce our official position.”
Update: Jo Jin-woong Retires as of Dec. 6, 2025:
Jo Jin-woong issued an official statement announcing that he will retire from acting and suspend all activities. He apologized for his past misconduct as a minor and stated that he accepts criticism. “I am putting a period to my path as an actor,” he said. Previously, the Dispatch article not only alleged offenses committed in 1994 when the actor was in high school, but also claimed the actor was once fined at the start of his acting career in 2003 for assault and also for driving under the influence.
The actor’s agency confirmed part of the allegations, saying Jo Jin-woong had indeed committed certain wrongdoings as a minor, though they noted it is difficult to understand everything because the incidents happened more than 30 years ago. Saram Entertainment also denied the sexual assault allegations, saying they confirmed he was not involved in any sexual misconduct.


Banu
Everyone makes mistakes… someting from his teenage years this man is over 40+ if he paid the price then it’s case closed.
Everyone acting like they are saints. Example if you had a fight or a karen moment in a public space , cafe… you could get a assault charges if it’s accelerates.. even how samll it is but still on the record.. and years later this might seem super big deal or criminal if you don’t know the context of it.
So stupid to dig up something from the past.
Imcooked
No one is clean. I don’t know the specifics and how severe his juvenile record was, but come on now. That was like what? 30+ years ago.
Dee
Koreans will nor let people breath like!!!!!!! Do they have nothing to do but just dig dirt
Andy
There’s a reason why suicide rates is high over there. Sad to see..
Dee
They succeeded! Since Koreans are perfect and blameless.., well I left kdrama since pasta actor SI.. Most dramas sinxeafter do I D were rubbish anyways…