‘Scarlet Heart’ Star Han Dong Says No One Is Casting Him Anymore, Igniting Discussion About Industry Decline

‘Scarlet Heart’ Star Han Dong Says No One Is Casting Him Anymore, Igniting Discussion About Industry Decline

45-year-old Chinese actor Han Dong rose to fame for playing the Ninth Prince in the 2011 hit drama Scarlet Heart. Recently, during a livestream, he was asked, “Why aren’t you acting anymore?” He lamented that he had “no acting jobs and no traffic.” Later, he clarified, “I wasn’t crying; I was joking.” However, the incident sparked discussion about the difficulties faced by middle-aged, skilled actors in the Chinese entertainment industry.

During the livestream, Han Dong appeared emotional when responding to viewers asking why he was no longer filming dramas. He took off his glasses, wiped the corners of his eyes, and spoke in a choked-up voice. He admitted, “It’s not that I don’t want to act, no one is asking me.” Han Dong said that he currently has no offers for normal-length dramas, which is why he’s been filming vertical dramas. He turned to live streaming but found himself struggling with less than ideal viewership. He also revealed that he is burdened with monthly mortgage payments.

After the incident trended online, Han Dong responded on social media, explaining that the clip had been taken out of context and was simply him joking with fans. He wrote: “I haven’t been on the trending hot searches for a long time, so at first I was excited. Then I looked closer and felt like the sky had fallen. A joke with friends in my livestream ended up being spread around like this. For those who didn’t watch the full livestream: don’t take it seriously! I wasn’t crying! I can’t sing or dance, so I was just putting on a little performance!” Interestingly, Han Dong displayed a contradictory mix of emotions in his livestream as he also smiled, made finger-heart gestures, and ate ice cream.

Han Dong has gained praise for his acting despite having no formal background. He’s acted in many roles in costume dramas for the past years including the villain. However, changes in the industry since 2025 has reportedly led to a decline in casting offers for actors like him.

Photo: 1

8 Comments

  1. Dee

    June 4, 2026 2:24 AM
  2. Arduinna

    June 4, 2026 3:22 AM
  3. Coralie

    June 4, 2026 7:31 PM
    • Merry

      June 5, 2026 7:47 AM
      • Coralie

        June 5, 2026 10:59 AM
  4. Merry

    June 5, 2026 7:54 AM
  5. Pretear

    June 5, 2026 4:04 PM
  6. ChenMo

    June 6, 2026 4:40 PM
error: Content is protected !!